Spanish and Latin American Working Holidays for New Zealanders

Spanish and Latin American working holiday visas are a type of residence permit allowing travellers to undertake employment (and sometimes study) in the country issuing the visa that allows them to work and to supplement their travel funds. For many young people, holding a working holiday visa enables them to experience living in a foreign country without undergoing the usual costly expenses of finding work sponsorship in advance or going on expensive university exchange programmes. Most working holiday visas are offered under reciprocal agreements between certain countries to encourage travel and cultural exchange between their citizens.

There are often several restrictions on this type of visa:

  • Many are intended for young travellers and, as such, have an age restriction (usually from 18 to 30 or 35).
  • There are usually limits on the type of employment taken or the length of time the traveller can be employed.
  • The visa holder is expected to have sufficient funds to live on while employment is sought.
  • The visa holder should have some kind of health or travel insurance for the duration of the stay unless the country will cover.

Spain and latin American countries

Argentina (1000 Places)

The working holiday visa allows a stay of up to 12 months and is available to citizens of Australia, Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal and Sweden in the Argentine Republic. The working holiday scheme between young people of Argentina and South Korea are aimed at both citizens interested in applying for a one year visa to live, work, travel and is to begin in 2019. Argentina's Working Holiday Program provides opportunities for people aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) to holiday in República Argentina and to supplement their travel funds through incidental employment.


Chile (900 Places)

Citizens of Australia, Austria,, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal,] South Korea and Sweden aged 18–30 or 35 (in the case of Canada and Hungary) can apply for a 1-year Chilean working holiday visa.[ Also, if they can provide evidence of holding a medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance to remain in force throughout his/her stay in the Republic of Chile.


Mexico (200 Places)

Citizens of Canada, France, Germany, South Korea, New Zealand are eligible for a Mexican working holiday visa in Mexico valid for 1 year or some kind of 2 year. Applicants must be between the ages of 18–29 and 30.


Peru (100 Places)

Citizens of Chile, Colombia, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, France aged 18–30 can apply for a one-year Peruvian working holiday visa in the Republic of Peru.

Spain (200 PLACES)

Citizens of Australia, Japan, and New Zealand aged 18–30 can apply for a one-year Spanish working holiday visa in the Kingdom of Spain. As Spain is a Schengen Agreement signatory, the 1 year Spanish working holiday visa serves as a Type D national visa, which permits the holder to stay and work in Reino de España during the visa's period of validity, as well as travelling in the rest of the Schengen Area for up to 90 days in a 180-day period (i.e. a maximum of 180 days in the 25 other Schengen countries during the visa's 1 year validity).

Uruguay (200 Places)

The Uruguayan working holiday visa programmes allows a stay of up to 12 months and is available to Australia, France, Germany, New Zealand and Sweden[ citizens in the Republic of Uruguay. Uruguay's Working Holiday Program provides opportunities for people aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) to holiday in Uruguay and to supplement their travel funds through incidental employment.

Source: Wikipedia.

what job can i do when there?

Past Spanish Institute students have worked in the Spain and Latin America as:

  • English teachers and tutors
  • Aupairs and Nannies
  • Hotel staff
  • Call centre staff
  • Bartenders and baristas
  • English speaking Tour guides
  • Super yachts Staff as deck hands and stewards
  • and also voulunteered in impoverished communities in Central America...

recommended study

The Spanish Institute recommends that you complete at least a Beginners Spanish Course and ideally go on to the Improvers Spanish Course before embarking on our 1 year Spanish world adventure.


Certify your Spanish, take the official SIELE spanish exam at the Spanish Institute, we are the only SIELE examination centre in New Zealand...

Spanish Library

Learn to speak Spanish faster with our online Spanish library with around 300 electronic texts, travel guides and 1800 audios. View on your tablet and phone and take your Spanish learning with you wherever you go...


About Us

Spanish Institute is an official immersion Spanish Language School situated in Auckland, Hamilton, Palmerston North and Wellington. Learn Spanish in our small interactive immersion classes with expert and passionate native speaker Spanish teachers from Latin America and Spain using the latest teaching methodologies. We offer a wide range of Spanish lessons for beginner (A1) to master (C2) levels following the official Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) and we will prepare you for the official Spanish language exams (SIELE) and travel to Latin America & Spain. The Spanish Institute is the only official SIELE Spanish language exam centre in New Zealand.
Read More

Apply to be a Teacher


Spanish Institute
Level 10, 155 Queen St (Acrossia House)
Auckland 1010

Phone: 021-461-551

Get Directions